Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Learning about your Field



My field of study is Video and Television production. There are three major parts to this field as you are able to work before the production on certain tasks such as casting, location scouting, and other pre-filming concepts. This is called Preproduction. There is also Production in which you shoot what concept was created during the preproduction phase. Lastly there is Post Production which is essentially putting the final pieces together.

My objectives within this field are to become a director and strive to produce quality films that have story and substance. I can’t stand going to the movies and seeing a bunch of remakes taken over by computer FX.

Analysts and leaders see the primary objective of this field is to entertain and inspire. Film and video is just another form of art and that is basically it’s sole purpose.

Some trends, issues, or core values in my field include pushing the envelope of technology as well as story. Art is basically an expression of your own personal values, since there is no one law governing art. My core values are to make films that retrain the ordinary way of thinking.

Future trends in my field are more computer usage, a higher rate of direct-to-DVD releases, more “indie” type films. Challenges in this field include money, industry monopolization and above all else more of a supply than the demand calls for.

The field has changed a lot as things are becoming cheaper and easier making it possible for anyone with video capabilities on a phone to an hand held camera able to create a short film. Special FX has changed dramatically as most stunts and effects is placed into the films during post production. Filming movies is essentially becoming a lazy art.

I don’t fit in with larger trends for I am not one to hop onto the band wagon.  I chose to create my own style.

I remember watching films and the behind the scenes videos on how certain aspects of the film were shot. This gave me my initial spark of curiosity in  this field. During high school, we had a production course which only furthered my influences.

article #1

The subject of this article is about writer/director Mark Bessenger. The articles talks about his film "BITE MARKS" which is an indie horror film that centers around the gay community. 

The thesis is that horror films are now becoming "gay" opening them up to a new community.

The writer appeals to logic as it talks about how this will impact both the horror community and the gays as well.

This article was extremely helpful as I now see that films are gradually accepting homosexuals as lead roles and not just crazy sidekicks there to cast stupid jokes.

I will not be able to use any information from the article but it is very inspirational. 

Article #2

The subject of this article is Tim Burton and how he pulled out from the disney's plan to remake Sleeping Beauty into a live action film.

The thesis of this article  is that without a good director disney is still planning on doing the film.

The writer appears to be emotional, almost as if he's favoring the director.

The article wasn't helpful to me at all. While I do love Tim Burton as he's my inspiration to be in school, the article was only about what his plans are and why he couldn't do the film.

I will not be able to use any information as this article is basically information about the preproduction of this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment